Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wine Club 45: Hogue Gewürztraminer, Alìsia Pinot Grigio

Date: May 23rd, 2013
Host: Christine
Served: Caprese alla Rukavena platter and spinach gnocchi
Bonus bottles (from the host's personal inventory): Pinot Noir, Syrah x2

Hogue Gewürtraminer 2010 (Columbia Valley, WA, USA) 13.5% alcohol, $10 at Discount Liquor- Manitowoc

Christine says (14): Light but rich golden color. Smelled like minerals and pears. Honeyed pear taste, with a nice streak of acid. Some oaky tannins. As the wine opened up, I also tasted peaches.

Andrea says (15.5): A clear, golden, lemon color. I loved the smell! Sweet, like pear and floral. The first taste was mild, even a little weak, but I could taste pear and fruit cocktail. The flavor increased and I could taste sour apple, honey, and oak, nice acidity with a tart twist. I would drink it again. Good with the gnocchi.

Kim says (18.5): Pale lemon with a hint of grassy green, and aroma of pears that was so intense, I couldn't smell anything else. Mmm! Happily, this wine also tasted like pears and honey, and had a slight bitterness on the finish, (maybe the acid that Christine mentioned), which I liked.

Alìsia Pinot Grigio 2011 (delle Venezie, Italy) 12.5% alcohol, $10 at Discount Liquor- Manitowoc

Christine says (14): Light, bright lemon color. Slight musty smell and not much else, though it wasn't objectionable. Light body, slight tartness and a surprisingly long finish. I tasted green apples, lemon, a little fresh green grass and celery. I loved it with the cheese-stuffed eggplant rollatini. Though I liked both wines with the gnocchi, I think this one had a slight edge.

Andrea says (14.5): Clear lime-green color in a uniquely shaped bottle. It had an interesting smell - sweet - pear, lemon, grapefruit and .... bubble gum? Also a little bit stinky. Light, fresh taste like lemon and green apple. Also went well with the food. 

Kim says (10): Pale in color . Smelled like wet, musty rocks and grass in the summer. So faint... I got my nose very close to the surface and had the vague impression of turpentine... and then plastic. Taste was surprisingly tart.





 
I sure must have been craving cheese! I picked up some Italian fontina, a Caprese salad and a loaded-with-cheese eggplant rollatini from Glorioso's. I also had Asiago focaccia lying around, so we ate that, too. I loaded the Caprese w/ lots of added tomatoes to make the platter a little more virtuous. The gnocchi was easy, affordable and delicious.

We shared some yummy bonus wines from Waterford. A big black-fruited Dierberg Pinot Noir 2009 (Santa Rita Hills, CA, USA) $42.  Pronounced berries, very complex, incredibly fruity. I fell in love with this wine at first sip.


We also had a mini trans-Atlantic Battle Syrah, featuring Cuilleron Syrah 2011 (Chavanay, France) $19; and Domaine des Mondes 2008 (Santa Barbara, CA, USA) $30. The American was very good with the dark chocolate truffles we had for dessert. But overall, I preferred the restrained style of the French wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment