Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wine Club 1: Happy 1-Year Anniversary

Date: February 29th, 2012
Host: Kim
Served: Zucchini Lasagna, Garlic Cobblestone

Three strangers met at a Cheese and Spice Pairing. Our very first Wine Club four days later (on Leap Day) and the eventual launch of this blog was born!

The morning after.

Leese-Fitch Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 (CA, USA), 13.5% alcohol, $10

Kim says: Happy Anniversary to us! Happy Anniversary to... okay sorry you get the idea. But we are very pleased to post our very first Wine Club on our 1-year anniversary date! Anyway, the first version of our score sheet was very narrow and only allowed for 20 points across four categories. For those of you that know us, you know that simply wouldn't do (I mean, where are we supposed to fit the smiley faces, unicorns, broken hearts and rainbows)! Anyway, I thought this wine had missed opportunities in Sight and Flavor but perfect score for Aroma and Appeal (for a grand total of 18). Not what you'd expect of a Big Bad Cab but that might actually make this particular wine more versatile.

Christine says: Ruby red appearance; raspberry jam aroma. Tasted a little thin; young; some jam flavors; not too tannic. Simple and fun. I rated this a 13 out of 20, based on a different judging form. On the forms we use now, it would be higher: probably 15ish.

Andrea says: A dark fushia color that smelled sweet like raspberry. I didn't write much on the flavor, only that it tasted "fruity." I enjoyed this wine and scored it an 18.

Chateau St. Michelle Indian Wells Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 (Columbia Valley, WA, USA), 14.5% alcohol, $15

Kim says: Even though I gave this wine the same score as the Leese-Fitch, I didn't enjoy it as much. It took a hit for aroma and had high tannis but overall, had good flavor.

Christine says: More tannic. Some barnyard smells, but not objectionable. Soft, round mouthfeel. More complex than the Leese-Fitch, yet I still only scored it a 9 (which translates to about 11 on today's form). Either way, it was a don't buy. I think this wine lost with all of us: we preferred the Leese-Fitch.

Andrea says: This cabernet had a brownish-ruby color. Smelled musty and earthy. I also noted the "barnyard" smell. Mostly I tasted the burn of alcohol and high tannins. I was not very critical in the beginning and I gave this wine a 14. Today I probably would have scored it even lower. I agree with Christine, the Leese-Fitch was much better.

3 comments:

  1. Alright ladies... I say we try this again with our new score sheets! I am extremely curious to see how they rate. And while both of you have successfully built the meal around the wine, I have a feeling I would do terribly at that. Battle Cabernet... all I can think of us grilling up some ribeyes. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Cabernet. I like ribeyes. I've had ribeyes on my mind for a WC, too. The drawback for me is that I'd been hoping to use up some wines from the assortment I just bought. I have Evodia Garnacha 2011 (loved their 2010) and Robert Reynolds 2009 Cabernet. These could be yummy with steaks. It may also be difficult to track down the same vintages as we tried last year (and I'm not sure I want to track down the Indian Wells). : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to try these again with the new form. I feel like my tastes have evolved over the past year. I bought those original Cabernets at Ray's because of the March Madness bracket. What about burgers with the cabs?

    ReplyDelete