Saturday, February 2, 2013

Wine Club 23: Cavit Moscato & Pinterest Pizza

Date: September 20th, 2012
Host: Andrea
Served: Meatballs, Spinach Artichoke Alfredo Pizza, Caramel Apple Cider Cookies

Sierra Cantabria Rioja; Cavit Moscato
Cavit Moscato 2010 (Provincia di Pavia, Italy), 7% alcohol, $8 at Otto's Wine & Spirits

Andrea says (16): This wine was a very transparent, light gold color and smelled of green apple, minerals, and apricot. The taste was delicious! Frizzante yet very smooth, tasted like honey, peach and cherry. For me, it needed a stronger bouquet and a longer finish to have gotten an even higher score, but 16 is very strong. It went GREAT with the creamy sauce, cheese, spinach, and artichoke in the pizza. This was an interesting meal because I made 2 recipes that I found on Pinterest.com. Pinterest was my new addiction this Fall. It is a fantastic way to organize your ideas, recipes, really anything that 'floats your boat.'

Kim says (15): This is what I mean by fearless... Andrea created a truly great meal from multiple recipes she's never tried before and tweaked them on the fly. Impressive! Would you do that for your dinner party or do you stick to the tried and true? Anyway, I really liked this wine and gave it the highest number of points possible in the "overall opinion" category, which is three. But it also took a hit for bouquet as it was so vague... fruity or floral or... something. Slight musty undertone but excellent flavor of perfectly ripe peaches.

Christine says (15): Lots of  big bubbles. Pale gold. Minerals, apricot, petroleum nose. Yum! Pronounced honey taste, plus peaches, apricots and a hint of tart cherries mid- to back-palate. Fun and good.


Sierra Cantabria Rioja 2009 (Spain), 13.5% alcohol, $12 at Otto's Wine & Spirits

Andrea says (13): This wine has a burgundy/raspberry color. I thought it had a distinct bouquet. First I could smell the warm, alcohol scent, followed by a strawberry, brown sugar and tomato smell. The taste was where I marked this wine down the most. I thought the body was thin. It was too tannic for me, and I mostly tasted the alcohol. Don't get me wrong, I still drank my share, and I remember it being ok with the food (best with the meatball).

Kim says (11.5): I am usually a fan of Spanish wines so I was excited to try this one. Unfortunately, it suffered in the categories of aroma, bouquet, balance and appeal. I thought this wine was a bit of a bully for a Rioja, which probably means that I detected too much of that aggressive, black-pepper-but-not-black-pepper aspect, which we have figured out is actually nutmeg.

Christine says (10): Smelled like alcohol and strawberries; I did also detect brown sugar after Andrea pointed it out. The wine tasted thin, with lots of tannins; it had a long finish that was mostly alcohol. It reminded me of Chianti, which I usually avoid.


The Spinach Artichoke Alfredo Pizza was a BIG HIT! We all loved it. I followed the recipe from The Two Bite Club almost to a "T." I did add oregano to the sauce, because what's a pizza without oregano?








The Caramel Apple Cider Cookies were also very good, but very sweet. A great recipe for the Fall. This recipe was pinned from The Girl Who Ate Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment