Thursday, April 25, 2013

Wine Club 41½: Just an excuse to drink wine and go hot-tubbing

Date: April 19th, 2013
Host: Christine
Served: Pizza

Palazzone Rubbio Red Blend 2011 (Umbria, Italy) 60% Sangiovese + 20% Cabernet Sauvignon + 20% Merlot, 14% alcohol, $10ish at Waterford Wine

Christine says (14.5): Big miniscus. Lots of fuchsia, berry; intense color. It smelled like roses to me, and berries. It tasted tight, like a rubber band, so I decided to try aerating it. I poured each person's glass of wine several times back and forth into an empty glass to quickly expose our wine to more air. Then I poured the rest of the bottle into a decanter with a looooong, slow pour. The wine did taste a bit more opened up after that. I could taste more berries as well as wintergreen.

Andrea says (17.5): This was a really fun night that started with wine tasting at Waterford and ended with wine in the hot tub! We had this Rubbio with the pizza and they went really well together. It was a nice dark, burgundy color. Even though it was high in alcohol, I didn't smell it right away, which is unusual for me. I thought it smelled fruity, like raspberry and jam. After it was decanted I could smell the alcohol, and maybe some strawberry. It tasted fruity, like strawberry, a little earthy, and maybe a little salty? But overall I really liked it and had a great night overall!

Kim says (14): The color was dark and thick with a raspberry miniscus. Smelled of wet leaves, tires and underneath, faintly of cocoa. This wine tasted like... well, nothing. (Silence. Birds chirping. Turtle crosses the road). And then Christine aerated the wine. What a difference! No more tires, smelled like straight-up chocolate, figs and jam. I couldn't wait to try it with the sausage & pepperoni pizza and indeed... a fantastic match!



I bought an awesome pizza from the deli at Metro Market. Then we went and sat in the hot tub, which was a lot of fun. A relaxing end to the workweek!

1 comment:

  1. We got together for girls night and Christine said, "And bring your score sheets and swim suits just in case." Well, we all know what that means... woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete