Saturday, April 20, 2013

Wine Club 41: The Princess and the Wolf

Date: April 10th, 2013
Host: Andrea
Served: Chicken Parmesan meatballs, salad, bread sticks, dessert




Principessa Gavia Gavi 2010 (Gavi, Italy) Cortese grape, 12.5% alcohol, $13.99 at Otto's Wine Cask

Andrea says (18.5): A nice pale gold, champagne color. Had a sweet, perfume, floral smell. Very buttery smelling, pear and citrus. It had good body and a long finish. Tasted like grapefruit and lemon. An excellent wine that didn't clash with the pasta.

Christine says (17): Light lemon color; pretty. Smells buttery or creamy, and citrus. Big body! Citrusy taste, very long finish. Both wines were good with the food. Though I scored this wine a bit higher, I preferred the red with the meatballs.

Kim says (18.5): Andrea told me what we were having for dinner so I could select the wine and I was torn between red or white... so I opted for one of each! I wanted to find a white that had a big enough personality to stand up to this meal and this little princess did not disappoint. Pale lemon in color and smelled like rich, creamy cheesecake with a light citrus twist. I was pleased at the taste- not sweet but bright. Think of lemon cheesecake... silky, full body and had citrus on the finish, too, which was nice and long. This wine was well-suited to the meal but neither one enhanced the other (although they didn't insult each other, either)... I liked this wine much better but thought the red was a better pairing.



The Wolftrap 2011 (South Africa) 65% Syrah + 32% Mourvèdre + 3% Viognier, 14.5% alcohol, $9.99 at Waterford

Andrea says (15): This was an interesting red blend that included Viognier? Sounded intriguing. It was a ruby/brick color with clear edges. It smelled like alcohol, smoke and must, but also like jam and berries. I thought the taste was tart like berries, very smokey and quite tannic. Had a bit of a bite to it.

Christine says (16.5): Wine color (how about that?), with visible alcohol floating on top. Smelled of jam and dried strawberries, berries and slight tobacco. It kind of stung the tip of my tongue (was that the alcohol?). Berry taste, plus alcohol. Good straightforward wine.

Kim says (13): I was fascinated by the concept of a red and white blend... the surprising introduction of Viognier piqued my interest. But we tipped our glasses back and met a simple, straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip kind of wine... no tricks and not complicated. So while this wine could be considered standard and unexciting, I also enjoyed reading the legend of the Wolf, whose history is rooted in mysticism and lore. Take a sip and wonder...

Chicken Parmesan Meatballs


The meal Andrea created was excellent... I am definitely adding this one to my own list! And the dessert... well, how can you go wrong with fruit and chocolate?





No comments:

Post a Comment