Sunday, May 19, 2013

♥ Wine Club 44: Spanish Wine with a German Name

Date: May 8th, 2013
Host: Andrea
Served: Chicken noodle soup, club sandwiches with sweet potato fries, dessert
Bonus Bottle (from the host's personal inventory): Makulu Iswithi Pinotage 

Vigne di San Martino Gavi di Gavi 2011 (Italy) Cortese grape, 12% alcohol, $15 at Otto's

Andrea says (14): Clear wine, the color of champagne. Smells nice and sweet, honey, pear, floral, and a little bit of plastic smell. Tart, acidic taste. Had flavors of honey, grapefruit, herbal, and grass. Thin body, left something to be desired.

Christine says (14.5): Light lemon yellow. Floral, honey, peaches and pears in the nose. Smelled good! Wasn't as fruity as expected: bright-tasting, acidic and grassy. Good with the soup. I didn't like it as much as the less-expensive Principessa Gavi we had earlier.

Kim says (11): Well, my seasonal allergies were bothering me this night so that may have had an effect on how I scored this wine in Aroma and Bouquet. Oh, who am I kidding... I always need help in those categories! Anyway, for a split second I caught some sort of smell that made me think, "Adhesive," but then it was gone. I swirled my glass and was instantly transported back to my childhood, watching my mom curling off apple skins until there was a heaping pile of them in the sink (and warm, homemade applesauce would follow). That's all I could smell with this wine... raw apple skins. It also had a very thin body, especially in comparison to the Principessa Gavi which was nice and full. This Gavi di Gavi was also very acidic and the finish- although long- was pure citrus. Not impressed.


♥ Blau Red Wine 2010 (Montsant, Spain) 50% Mazuelo + 25% Syrah + 25% Garnacha, 14% alcohol, $13 at Otto's
Love love love : This wine scored 18 or higher with each of us.

Andrea says (19.5): A dark burgundy color with clear edges. My first smell was of alcohol, then chocolate, tobacco, raspberry, blackberry, vanilla, and pepper. I loved the smell. The taste was really nice! Berry flavors, nice tannins, good balance, nice body. I think that this wine would go really well with a lot of foods. I docked it half a point for the finish, but easily could have given it the full 20! I would definitely get this wine again, I thought it was very drinkable for being so high in alcohol.

Christine says (20): Very pretty intense burgundy color with magenta edges. Visible alcohol that floats on top and falls down the side of the glass in sheets. Bouquet had peppercorns, tobacco, alcohol, berries and a little fresh mint leaves. BIG taste! Good and perfect tannins. Rich, round mouthfeel. Fruity, but not a sissy wine. A lot of personality. I considered docking it 1/2 point for finish, but I decided to give this wine a perfect score since I wanted to give it greater than max points for its amazing body. Win! It was good with the Andes candies-like brownies. Another delicious 2010 Spanish wine.

Kim says (19): Okay, I take back all the bad things I may have said about Spanish wines! I had recently become disillusioned with them but Herr Blau has solidly reestablished their rightful place in my Top Five! This red blend had a pretty, cranberry meniscus and thick color. Smelled like black pepper and brown sugar; had a wonderful taste, perfect balance and nice, strong tannins. If possible, I would have scored them higher than the maximum allowed in Body and Balance! The missed point was in Bouquet.



image
Makulu Iswithi Pinotage NV (South Africa) 13.5% alcohol, $4 on sale at Discount Liquor-Manitowoc

Andrea says (17): Burgundy colored, transparent, with clear edges. Smelled like caramel, plum, and currant. Tasted fruitier than it smelled. Very jammy, tasted like strawberry and vanilla. Good body and good tannins. I great deal at $4.00!

Christine says (18): Deep claret color. Smelled like plums, berries, currants and alcohol. Thinner body, but nice. Good fruit. Nice tannins and a long finish that included tobacco. Would be great with barbecue ribs.

Kim says (18): I smelled alcohol and raisins. Although there was no vintage, I did detect a slight tinge of brown so possibly approaching its peak. Regardless, I very much enjoyed this wine... perfect scores in all the technical and subjective categories except Bouquet.




For dinner I made my mom's chicken dumpling soup, baked club sandwich rounds, sweet potato fries and mint brownies.








No comments:

Post a Comment