Sunday, November 24, 2013

Wine Club 31 (say goodbye to 2012): Mission Point Pinot Noir, Araldica Albera Barbera d'Asti

Date: December 31st, 2012
Host: Kim
Served: veggies, dips, cheese and crackers, sloppy joes
Bonus bottles: a French sparkler (thanks, Christine!) and tequila margaritas



Mission Point Pinot Noir 2011 (CA, USA), 13.8% alcohol, $9ish? at Trader Joe's

Kim says (12): Well, my notes say that I thought this wine was "thin in color." I think I probably meant that it was fairly translucent, which I usually don't comment on unless it's extreme (very translucent like the Domaine de la Terrière Beaujolais, as pictured here; or so dark that it seems to suck in the light around it, like the Terre des Chardons Marginal, mentioned here). Also noteworthy was the distinct aroma of pepper, mint and blackberries which is so interesting that I would like to try this wine again. 

Andrea says (15.5): A nice ruby color with pale edges. Smelled like raspberry, blackberry, cranberry, strawberry, plus black pepper and brown sugar. Tasted nice with good body. Jammy with grass and mint flavors. I would drink it again. 

Christine says (14): Looked thin; pale ruby. Jammy, raspberry, blueberry, brown sugar, and slightly peppery vanilla. Tasted like jam, and then minty in the mid-palate and finish. I got it for free at my company holiday party. So the price was right, but the wine was just barely OK.

Araldica Albera Barbera d'Asti 2009 (Italy), 14.5% alcohol, $14 at Whole Foods

Kim says (14): Athough I apparently thought this wine smelled like asphalt & honey and tasted like dead leaves, I found it to be appealing and overall felt it was good. It seemed to suffer in the categories of bouquet and color but was well-balanced and had a nice finish.

Andrea says (15.5): Pretty raspberry, fushia color. Smelled a little bit like rubber, but then blackberry, mint, jam and vanilla. Tasted smokey with a tart jammy taste. Good body and tannins. I liked it a lot.

Christine says (13): Dark, intense purple. Smelled like tires, burning rubber, some mint, vanilla, very slight honey. Full-bodied taste, with tobacco, mint and jam flavors. Not a complex taste. Earth and alcohol finish.

   
Christine says: Kim made an awesome spread filled with the party foods I absolutely love! Lots of good munching here.




Happy New Year! Cheers to 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment