Tuesday, March 26, 2013

♥ Wine Club 39: One Honey of a Wine

Date: March 21st, 2013
Host: Christine
Served: taco meat loaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, chocolate creme pie


♥ Honey Badger Sweet Red 2011 (South Africa), 95% Shiraz + 5% Pinotage, 12.5% alcohol, $9.99 at Discount Liquor in Manitowoc
     ♥ Love love love : This wine scored 18 or higher with each of us.

Christine says (19): Pretty raspberry color with fuchsia. Smelled of red berries (mostly raspberries, but strawberries, too) and jam, plus a hint of sweet, edible tangerine peel and tobacco. For taste, my first thought was "Wow!" It was very much like brown sugar, plus tangerines. Lively and jumping off of the palate. Sweet and good. I would love this with cheese! Or other picnic foods. The wine was good with a chill on it...warmed up at room temp for 1/2 hour out of the frig seemed perfect to me. I loved it.

Andrea says (19): This would be a great wine for people who say that they don't like red wines. Sweet and fruity. Smelled like strawberry, blackberry, citrus-maybe tangerine and jam. My first taste was of honey and strawberry, next I could taste tangerine and grape. A delicious light, bright red. Highly recommended, great with dessert (thanks for the suggestion T.B.).

Kim says (19): Holy grapes, Batman! Throw the words "honey" and "sweet" around and I am already inclined to dislike it but that was not the case with this lovely find! A very pretty color... vibrant and warm. Smelled wonderfully of berries (red), kiwi and bananas. Tasted like fruit and brown sugar. Even served below room temperature, this wine had a nice, long finish... like I had just finished a mouthful of deliciously ripe berries. Note to self... try with Andrea's dreamy apricot baked brie!


Terre des Chardons Marginal 2009 (Costières de Nîmes, France), Grenache + Syrah, 13.5% alcohol, $9.99 on sale at Waterford

Christine says (11): We've often snickered over the previous months, wondering if this wine would live up to its marginal name. In that regard, it did not disappoint! It looked very thick in the glass, with an intense deep blood-red color. It smelled like Dwight Schrute's farm: barnyard and beets. By beets, I mean earthy, sweet and fresh. A hint of the spices I put into pickled beets (cloves, allspice, peppercorns, bay leaves). It was a chewy wine. I didn't like how much I had to think about it. I'd be disappointed, too, if I were that customer who dropped $27 apiece for a case of this stuff. I was starting to feel like an 11 score was generous as I struggled to finish my glass. Though I've never had a Costières de Nîmes, I felt like this example had a lot of terroir. I'd try the region again.

Andrea says (11.5): This was an interesting wine that I was eager yet nervous to try. I had purchased it at Waterford for $9.99 marked down from $27.00. A discount like that made me curious. An employee told us that customers had been put off by the scent. It had a dark maroon color, almost bloody, and very thick, you couldn't see through it. The first smell was pretty awful,  burnt rubber and asphalt.With some heavy swirling I could smell berry, licorice, sweetness, apples, and something earthy. The taste was berry but mixed with chemicals and rubber. It was interesting and very complex. It actually went well with the meal, but I certainly didn't give it a $27.00 score....

Kim says (14.5): You know how you look too hard at something and then it kind of shifts right in front of you? Yep, that's what Marginal did. This wine was deep burgundy in color and so dark that it made me think of thick, velvet drapes. The up side- no hint of brown. The down side- the instant and overwhelming smell of barnyard funk and asphalt. Also (on about the 30th inhale in my stubborn attempt to find something redeeming about this wine), the oh-so-faint and barely discernable tease of carmelized onons and wet cardboard (in that order). Unfortunately, it also tasted exactly what it smelled like... sharp, burnt, acrid, chemical. But when I took a significant mouth full (again, stare long enough and you might see something different), I could pick up on the hidden spice and something vaguely sweet. Would I buy this for myself? Perhaps. Would I serve it to someone else? Heck no. But it did pair very well with Christine's delicious taco meatloaf!



My maiden voyage with the Taco Meat Loaf recipe was a success! I baked it at 350 degrees instead of using the slow cooker (glazed after baking for 50 minutes).  I used 1/2 pack each of taco and fajita seasoning instead of 1 pack of taco, because it was what I had on hand. I added 1/3 tsp. chili powder. This was a delicious make-again. I added sour cream and paprika to the mashed potatoes. I bought a chocolate pie, anticipating that Andrea would bring red wine. : )



No comments:

Post a Comment