Sunday, March 31, 2013

Wine Club 10: J.W. Morris Gewürztraminer, Honey Moon Viognier

Date: May 2nd, 2012
Host: Kim
Served: Stuffed Cheese Bread, Quinoa Salad


J.W. Morris Gewürztraminer 2011 (CA, USA), 12.5% alcohol, $4.99 at Trader Joe's

Kim says (20): Well, we drank our way through nine wine clubs before finally coming across a bottle that I felt deserved a perfect score. It hit every single category exactly right, and it would be four months before another perfect 20 landed on my score sheet... loved this one! If Beaujolais was my gateway red, than Gewürztraminer was definitely my gateway white and though I had recently been moving away (unintentionally) from this wonderfully aromatic wine, I am more than pleased to rediscover it.

Andrea says (18): This is a great wine for a great price! Sweet and tart, very tasty. I remember us comparing the taste to the juice in a can of fruit cocktail. I only docked it for having a shorter finish and milder bouquet. I revisit this wine often. I think it goes well with everything.

Christine says (15): I really liked this wine, especially when you factor in the $5 price tag. Very pale blond straw color with clear edges. Pleasing, but subtle, bouquet of peaches. Sweet taste, with a nice tartness mid-palate that kept it from being cloying. Tasted like peaches, fruit cocktail and petroleum. Short finish. Would be super for parties.


image
Honey Moon Viognier 2010, (CA, USA), 13.5% alcohol, $7.99 at Trader Joe's

Kim says (11): Maybe this one suffered in the shadow of the Gewürtztraminer, or maybe it was the hype... I am a fan of Viognier (Cono Sur makes an excellent one hailing from Chile and it is hands down my favorite every day white). Whatever the reason, I rarely give out this many zeros but Body and Balance both suffered and most telling... Appeal (dislike) and Overall Opinion (lacking). So this was no honeymoon and took hard hits in both objective and subjective categories.

Andrea says (11): I didn't write many comments for this wine. Only that it smelled better than it tasted. I docked it in most categories and was pretty disappointed in it. For a date this early an 11 is really low. I may even score it lower if I tried it now.

Christine says (8): Pale greenish yellow, with some gold. Smelled mostly of cat urine, with some floral. Surprisingly round! Still, it had only slight flavor, and I could only detect minerals. The worst score I have given a wine (so far).


Quinoa  and Mushroom Salad

1 C dry quinoa                                                 8 1/2 oz artichoke hearts
2 t olive oil                                                      1 carton cherry tomatoes, halved
8 oz sliced mushrooms                                   1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/8 t salt                                                        1/4 C chopped fresh basil (or more to taste)
1/8 t black pepper                                           2 T lime juice
1 avocado, sliced                                            4 oz green chili peppers

  1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
  3. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
  4. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
  5. Stir in mushrooms and quinoa.
  6. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment