Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wine Club 38: Battle Beaujolais

Date: March 14th, 2013
Host: Andrea
Served: Crudités, beef stew, cheddar biscuits, brownies

Georges Dubœuf Morgon 2010 (Beaujolais, France), 13% alcohol, $15.99 at Otto's Wine Cask

Andrea says (16.5): Ruby color with pink edges. I smelled raspberry, vanilla, jam, and strawberry, very sweet. Taste was a little tart, slight vinegar flavor that sits on the back of the tongue. But I also tasted strawberry and a little bit like pine.

Christine says (12): Blood red, with slightly brownish edges. Jam, violets and a slight vinegar smell I've been finding in all the Duboeuf Beaujolais we've tried. Not that the wine is bad, or going bad, it's just there. Taste had a nice balance of acid and tannins, but not much fruit. I docked it on body and sugar. Nice medium-long finish. Overall, just OK.

Kim says (16): Definitely not a flashy wine- standard color without a lot of dimension or depth. Good clarity and didn't have the "stickiness" of the other Georges Dubœf Beaujolais... I can't figure out if that means it's a bit calmer on the acid or tannins. Smooth but thin body and a flash of rot on the finish (but only once and just for a split second). A very straightforward wine.




Domaine Diochon Moulin-à-Vent 2009 (Beaujolais, France), 13% alcohol, $24.99 at Waterford Wine

Andrea says (18): Also a ruby color, but more purple, maybe a burgundy. I loved the smell and thought it was very complex. Raspberry, red licorice, floral, spicy, musty and a little jammy. I gave it a rare 3 points for  bouquet. Tasted like jam,cinnamon, blackberry and raspberry. Very good Beaujolais from the famed 2009 vintage.

 Christine says (17): Very pretty, bright intense ruby. First impressions were intense floral and blackberries. Needed to swirl it aggressively around in the glass to open it up. Also smelled jam, and the wine smelled good and sweet. With a rich mouthfeel (and more muscular than I tend to expect from Beaujolais), it tasted like fresh mint leaves and berries, especially strawberries. I docked it for short finish and bouquet, because I couldn't pick out much. Still, this wine was a treat.

Kim says (11): Huh... looking at Andrea and Christine's scores, I have no idea what happened here. Nice color- good depth and bright around the edges. Not as translucent as the Morgon and a rather vague bouquet... possibly grape Pez was about all I was able to detect. For me, I felt bouquet, body, tannins (high), sugar (low) and balance were all missed opportunities for this wine. And it wasn't due to hype or disappointment... I'd actually had this wine the week before so I knew what to expect.



I have used this Six Sisters website a few times for Crock Pot recipes. Great place to find simple and inexpensive meals.  The Hearty Beef Stew was a crowd pleaser.

No comments:

Post a Comment