Saturday, December 14, 2013

Wine Club 59: Blau vs. Blau

Date: November 22nd, 2013
Host: Andrea
Served: steak chili, grilled 3-cheese sandwiches
Bonus bottle (from the host's personal inventory): J.W. Morris Gewurtzraminer 
Bonus bottle (provided by Kim because this year's Beaujolais Nouveau just hit the shelves yesterday): Joseph Drouhin Beaujolais Nouveau 2013

Blau #1
We had previously tried the Blau Red Blend 2010 and enjoyed it so much (scored a ♥ love love love!) that we decided to try the oaked version from the same vintage, side by side. While possibly not a true comparison as the proportion of grapes is markedly different (the unoaked Blau was 50% Syrah, 25% Mazuelo, 25% Garnacha blend), it was an interesting battle nonetheless.

Andrea says: Nice body, tart and fruity, good acid level. I loved both Blau Blends and even though I scored the new one slightly lower that the first one, I think I liked the new "oaked" one better.

Eye-catching labels
Christine says: Very berry. More acid than I remembered. Part of me wonders if this bottle suffered some temperature abuse? Because I adored this the first time around, giving it a perfect score. This time, I only gave Blau #2 a 14.5, but I wound up preferring it over Blau #1. Though Blau #2 did go best with the meal.

Kim says: I have to agree with Christine. I keep the cooler for my reds at 65° so I know it didn't suffer in my care... it must have been beforehand. This particular bottle of wine had higher acidity than I like. We thought maybe it just needed time to breath but several hours later, there was no improvement.



Blau #2
Can Blau Red Blend 2010 (Spain), 40% Mazuelo + 40% Syrah + 20% Garnacha,  14.5% alcohol, $17 at Otto's

Andrea says (19): Ruby red color. Smelled like cocoa, red berries, perfume, as well as dirt and alcohol smells (that sounds bad, but I liked the smell). Nice taste, rich and smooth. Tasted like blackberry and raspberry. Nice tannins. This Blau was lighter in acid when compared back-to-back, which I thought improved it. I think the oaked Blau had a richer, darker flavor.

Christine says (14.5): More intense, deep ruby color and less translucent than the first Blau. Plush smell! Violets, orange peel and very slight cherries. Blackberry taste, nice green stemminess, some acid in a finish that wasn't great. It smelled good, though it was hard to ID many flavors. A little thin and light up front, and too much acid in the mid-palate and end. But it was SO GOOD with the chili. Win!

Kim says (16): Much preferred this one over the unoaked version but that opinion is specific to this bottle. And mark the history books... for once, I gave this wine full points for bouquet! Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, black licorice. Smelled so good- deep and calming. Fantastic finish, nice and long with strong tannins. My suspicion that this would be a good match for the chili proved right on, especially since Andrea used such flavorful meat in her version!



Joseph Drouhin Beaujolais Nouveau 2013 (France), 12.5% alcohol, $12 at Otto's

Andrea says (16): I think I maybe wanted to like this Beaujolais more than I actually did, and I probably inflated the score more than it deserved. It was a pretty ruby/garnet/fushia color. I really liked the aroma - floral, vanilla, almond and cake! Tasted like berries, chocolate, licorice, floral, banana. Medium tannins

Christine says (12.5): Very pretty, light clear raspberry color. Aroma of red berry and floral. Light, slight banana flavor, short finish. Although I liked it better than the Duboeuf we had in February, I rated this one lower (Duboeuf got a 13.5). I guess my scoring is getting tougher. I also think my curiosity for Beaujolais Nouveau has fully run its course.

Kim says (9): Not impressed.Very festive color (of course), and the initial smell brought something familiar and yummy to mind but I couldn't put my finger on it. However it made me pucker as if I had just sucked on a lemon, and I only allowed it 1 point in Appeal simply because it was so pretty.


Christine says: The most amazing grilled cheese I've ever had. On Texas toast to hold all the cheese!

Mom's Chili:

4 T. Oil                                        2 - 15oz Cans Pinto Beans
2 Large Onions                            2 - 16oz Cans Baked Beans
4 Cloves Garlic (minced)              6T. Chili Powder
4 lbs Lean Stew Beef (cubed)       3t.  Cumin
3 lbs Pork Sausage                     1T. Oregano
2 - 16oz Cans Diced Tomatoes     2t.  Salt
2 - 6oz Cans Tomato Paste          2t.  Sugar
2 - 150z Cans Kidney Beans        2T. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

In your largest soup pot heat the oil, saute onions and garlic until soft. Add beef and sausage, cook until brown - drain. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, dry ingredients and baked beans. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours (add water if too dry). Add pinto beans and kidney beans (I don't drain any of the cans). Cook 30 minutes longer. I only made half of the recipe and still had leftovers for weeks. Freezes well. 

Giant Grilled Cheese:

Texas Toast
Butter
Sharp Cheddar
Havarti
Muenster

I cook these with the lid on the pan, trap in the heat to melt the cheese.

The last of J.W. Morris.
Sad face!



Andrea says: The end of J.W. Morris Gewurtztraminer! No longer in production and this was my last bottle. We loved it the first time around, still good the last time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment